Examiner and Island Argus
Weekly Examiner and Island Argus
About Weekly Examiner
The Examiner Weekly Edition began publication in 1877 (see also Examiner). It was a Conservative newspaper printing news, poetry, fiction, anecdotes and advertisements. In 1881, the Examiner purchased the plant and goodwill of the Island Argus from James H. Fletcher, and the Argus was amalgamated with the Examiner Weekly Edition to form the Weekly Examiner and Island Argus. Later, in 1893, the paper's name became simply the Weekly Examiner. Local news coverage in this newspaper was especially good, with news of clubs and societies, and of rural communities appearing in each issue. Many of the articles which appeared in the Weekly Examiner, however, were reprints of articles which had been printed in the daily Examiner. Some of the issues which were discussed in the Weekly Examiner included railroads, fisheries, the Legislative Council, temperance, educational funding and tariffs.