About Island Argus
The Island Argus began publication in 1869, when J. H. Fletcher purchased the plant and subscription list of the North Star. It was a Conservative newspaper which advocated reform. The paper attacked Liberal corruption and hypocrisy while agitating for the settlement of the Land Question and for the building of a new asylum and poorhouse. Local and foreign news, fiction, poetry, anecdotes and advertisements all appeared in the Island Argus. Articles on agriculture and the Charlottetown City Council were also featured. Early in 1881, the plant and goodwill of the Island Argus were purchased by the Examiner, which amalgamated the Argus with the Examiner Weekly Edition to produce the Weekly Examiner and Island Argus.